• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Fenugreek (Methi)

Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Fenugreek (Methi)

Post by Cory Ander »

Fenugreek (Methi)

Fenugreek is available in various forms:

- Fresh leaves
- Dried leaves
- Seeds
- Powder (from ground seeds)

Fresh fenugreek is available from some Asian grocers (though I've rarely seen it in any shops).

Dried fenugreek leaves are far more easily available and far more commonly used by BIRs. They can be stored like any other spice. They impart a very distinctive, strong, musty, savoury smell and flavour to a dish. They should be rubbed between your fingers, when adding, to release their flavour. In my opinion, dried fenugreek leaves are an indispensible part of BIR cooking and are an essential component of Balti cooking.

Fenugreek seeds (and the associated ground fenugreek) have a completely different taste and are not a substitute for ground fenugreek leaves. Ground fenugreek seeds are used as a minor ingredient in curry masalas. The seeds (and ground) are often used in vegetable dishes, pulse dishes and in pickles and chutneys. The seeds are also one of the five constituents of Panch Phoran. The seeds (and ground) can be quite bitter, need to be used sparingly, and need to be carefully roasted or fried when used.

Photo (left to right):

Fenugreek seeds
Ground fenugreek seeds
Dried fenugreek leaves
Fenugreek.jpg
Fenugreek.jpg (221.68 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
CA (aka Admin) :)
king prawn
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Re: Fenugreek (Methi)

Post by king prawn »

I find that here ground methi is impossible to find, even in the 'asian' shops and C&C.

So now I have to grind my own. It's a learning process but it gets me there and as it grows here I might be able to make more next year!

Take that suppliers! :shutup:

KP
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Re: Fenugreek (Methi)

Post by Cory Ander »

I do the same, KP, it's anyway cheaper!
CA (aka Admin) :)