• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Fresh Methi @ Morrisons

Harrythephot
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Favourite Curries: Madras
Great Britain

Fresh Methi @ Morrisons

Post by Harrythephot »

Just a heads up for anyone who may be interested. I've not seen it before, but Morrisons has this week started selling fresh Methi alongside the coriander and other leafy goodness.
charliebir
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Pathia, Garlic Chilli, Madras.
Scotland

Re: Fresh Methi

Post by charliebir »

Thanks, Harry.

Will check it out next visit.
Charlie.
macferret
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Fresh methi

Post by macferret »

We used to cook fresh methi when we lived in London. It was bought by the bunch and it tended to be quite unremarkable - like spinach. But recently we have been growing it in our polytunnel and it is quite a revelation. Grown fast and picked young, it has a peppery and quite bitter quality about it. I have been freezing it in yorkshire pudding trays. We used to have a curry on the menu called sag methi wallah, but we dropped it because no-one ordered it. I'm tempted to put it back on, and at least cook it for myself and the freezer.
Cheers,
MacFerret
If I publish an e-book, please kill me.
slicker55
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: चिकन मद्रास
Great Britain

Re: Fresh methi

Post by slicker55 »

There's always plenty of fresh Methi in our local Asian supermarkets and their regular customers seem to buy loads of it. However, we tried it a while back and quite frankly, it tasted of nothing so we use the dried variety.
macferret
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Fresh Methi

Post by macferret »

By the way it grows like weeds. Just rake some methi seed into a spare corner of your garden and you will be richly rewarded.
I agree that the dried herb is easier to cook with: fresh methi is quite bitter, and this is not a taste that suits every palate.
However, we do a sag methi wallah variant of all our sag dishes. Which means that we add a bit of methi to spinach dishes. It's not popular to be honest, but I quite like it myself :)
This year we have been growing fresh methi in the polytunnel. We chop it, steam it and freeze it. I'm wondering now about drying our own...
Cheers,
MacFerret
If I publish an e-book, please kill me.
slicker55
CAYENNE
CAYENNE
Favourite Curries: चिकन मद्रास
Great Britain

Re: Fresh Methi @ Morrisons

Post by slicker55 »

In an earlier post I commented that we had tried fresh Methi and concluded it tasted of nothing and have since only used Kasoori Methi.
However, tonight we made a Methi Gosht using one bunch of fresh Methi purchased from a local asian supermarket and wow!
The aroma from this particular batch was remarkable, adding extra texture and depth of flavour to the curry not so evident with the dry counterpart.