• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Fenugreek seed vs leaf

marf

Fenugreek seed vs leaf

Post by marf »

Whats the difference in flavour?
rfr
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Fenugreek seed vs leaf

Post by rfr »

they are both very different the seeds and powder are quite bitter,i only use the leaf these days.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Hi Marf,

You will also find some more information on dried leaf v fresh leaf v seeds/powder here

And a pre-existing thread on fenugreek powder here

But I think you have since discovered those threads?
CA (aka Admin) :)
heirpin
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by heirpin »

anyone ever tried growing from seed?
heirpin
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by heirpin »

ah, just found this which definitely answers my question!!

http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=502

..I'll give it a go.....
Sgwerk
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Methi vs Fenugreek

Post by Sgwerk »

Hi all. This is my first post ! I'm attempting to learn BIR style cooking and several recipes call for fenugreek leaves or fenugreek powder. At my local Indian market they sell both fenugreek and methi. Is there a difference between the two ? And if so is one more commonly used in BIR cooking than the other?
Squibo
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Re: Methi vs Fenugreek

Post by Squibo »

Methi = Dried Leaf (Crushed)
Funugreek Powder = Ground Seed

I would say (Kasoori) Methi is by far the more common ingredient.

Hope that helps :)
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

I've merged your post Sgwerk to an existing topic.

As Squibo says, the methi leaves are the crushed dried leaves of fenugreek, used in most BIR curries, the fenugreek seeds are ground & are a nice addition to a mix powder sometimes.

I notice this is your first post, why not go to New Member Introductions, & tell us something about yourself ?
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I think there is some generally misunderstanding about "methi"/"fenugreek". As far as I'm aware "methi" is simply the Hindi word for "fenugreek" (whether one is referring to the seeds, the powdered seeds, the fresh herb or the dried leaves).

Dried fenugreek leaves are far more savoury and pungent than fenugreek seeds or powdered seeds. They are often added to main dish curries (as a dried herb) to add savouriness to a curry.

Fenugreek seeds and powdered seeds (which can be quite bitter and should be used in moderation) are added as most whole spices and powdered spices are added (i.e. they are dry roasted and/or fried at the start of the cooking process). Fenugreek seeds/powdered seeds may also be added to curry powder (or "spice mix" or "masala") and to a curry base (also to impart "savouriness").

Fenugreek seeds/powdered seeds aren't really interchangeable with dried fenugreek leaves since they are quite different - much like coriander seeds/powdered seeds and fresh coriander leaves are quite different.
CA (aka Admin) :)
Rusty
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Vindaloo
Australia

Post by Rusty »

I never used fenugreek until I joined the forum, the Indian grocery store and curry house where I get my spices explained similar to how CA explained it and gave me methi leaves. He also told me to rub the leaves in palm of hand and add to curry just before serving but have not tried this yet.

Cheers Rusty
The best day of the week to prepare onions for a base gravy is a Fryday 8-)
macferret
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by macferret »

We have grown methi. It's very easy - easier than coriander. We have a couple of home recipes such as methi saag-wallah which use the fresh leaves, but we never put them on our menu as fresh methi is used much like spinach: it's a bulk ingredient that we can't buy here in France, and I'm not interested in a methi polytunnel!
We also sprout methi - within a week you have some nice crunchy bean sprouts with a mild taste. We just use the methi seeds bought from our Indian spice supplier, but we find that only certain batches will sprout. Maybe an age or storage thing.
Cheers,
Tim
If I publish an e-book, please kill me.
HeehawBaws
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by HeehawBaws »

Lately I've been thinking that my boxes are filled more with Fenugreek stem than leaf. Even a blast in the electric grinder doesn't chop them up.

I bought a packet of seeds and have replaced the ubiquitous "tsp of fenugreek leaves" with freshly grounbd seeds and I think it's a lot better. It seems lika a more satisfying taste that's a tiny step closer to what I'm looking for.
taliyah

Post by taliyah »

I think stems in some brands of Kasuri Methi are more prevalent than others, I’ve just bought a box of Zeeshan brand @79p
Less storks than usual, lovely strong Indian aroma. highly Recommended.
Papaz
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Sweden

Post by Papaz »

I believe the leaf is a lot more common. The seeds are quite bitter and I can't say I have felt the need for adding the seeds. Leaves give the flavour I'm looking for.
pauly
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo
Ireland

Post by pauly »

Fenugreek seeds are part of Panch Phoran , I can't say I've found them bitter, rather very savoury.