• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Methi Powder

gumboil

Methi Powder

Post by gumboil »

I picked up a bag of methi powder while buying the usual spices yesterday.
But i have never seen it in any recipes so far. Does anyone know where it could be useful?

Cheers.
Mad-Raz
SERRANO
SERRANO

Re: Methi Powder

Post by Mad-Raz »

Geezah
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by Geezah »

I use them in certain dishes.
It imparts a bitter-sweet flavour and a pungent aroma, especially when the seeds are roasted whole then ground.

Ideal for a Dahl or in addition to a vegetable dish.

I use it mostly in Butter Chicken and Dahl, but also in italian pasta dishes.

(apologies in advance for quoting where used in non BIR dishes)
gumboil

Post by gumboil »

Thanks for the replies, CA`s mix looks like the first thing this is going to be used for.
goncalo
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by goncalo »

This reminds me I bought 400g bag of this early on (2012) and I never even had the need to use it once...
I am the unbearable scorcher of tikkas!
chef888
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by chef888 »

what i have started doing with dried methi leaf is to put a few tbls in a sice grinder and turn it in to a fine powder , then putting a pinch or two in my currys its easyer for me to do that and try to crush the dried leaf between my fingers :D ( ivan )
BJQ1972

Post by BJQ1972 »

There is often some confusion regarding methi and kasuri methi, i.e. the ground seeds, and the dried leaf. For me, if there is any doubt I go for leaf, rather than seed. I find the seeds very bitter.
chargrill
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by chargrill »

Usually methi seeds (ground) or powder is used in mix powder for example a basic curry powder mix would be cumin, coriander, garam massala and methi (1/4 amount of the others); the dried leaves are used as an individuall ingredient when cooking a curry.
spiceyokooko
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by spiceyokooko »

gumboil wrote:But i have never seen it in any recipes so far. Does anyone know where it could be useful?
I use ground fenugreek in pretty much every single BIR style dish I cook. In my opinion it's one of the key ingredients. Virtually every single bought pre-mixed curry powder mix will have a fair amount of ground fenugreek in it and it's one of the spices that produces that distinctive 'curry' smell. They key is to know how much of it to use. This is one of the reasons I think 'mix powders' generally use fair quantities of pre-bought pre-mixed 'madras curry powder' because it contains ground fenugreek as well as small quantities of other spices making the separate addition of them unnecessary. The downside of using a pre-bought 'madras curry powder' in mix powder is the inability to fine-tune the flavours it contributes.

I'm surprised at the number of replies to this thread from people who don't use it.

I know a lot of people will probably say that if you're using dried fenugreek leaves why would you want to use the ground powder? In my experience the ground powder from the seeds and the dried leaves add different flavours in the same way that ground coriander seeds and fresh coriander add different flavours. They're not really interchangeable.

The only real way to know exactly what flavours ground fenugreek contributes is to experiment with some dishes with it and without it.
beachbum
SERRANO
SERRANO

Post by beachbum »

Non BIR alert :twisted:

In Southern India they say "when you see Fenugreek, curry leaves aren't far away". For Aussie traditional old school curries, fenugreek powder is the signature flavour of Keen's curry powder. Whenever I serve a fenugreek smelling curry to a local their first comment is generally "Hmm, Keen's ....".

I'd guess that some BIR restaurants use Methi in their bases or dry mixes, I remember an article in an international edition of the Telegraph or the Guardian or something a couple of years ago when I was starting my curry career, about BIR restaurants using a lot of "additives" and flavour enhancers such as Asafoetida and Fenugreek. Struck me as strange because these are perfectly traditional spices, wouldn't call them "enhancers" any more than say Cumin. :confused: