• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

"An Introduction to BIR Curries" Now Released!

Obtain your copy of "AN INTRODUCTION TO BRITISH INDIAN RESTAURANT CURRIES" NOW! (100% of proceeds are donated to charity!)
uclown2002
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Re: "An Introduction to BIR Curries (V1.0)" Now Released!

Post by uclown2002 »

Great work guys. 8-)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Must admit, didn"t put the stated amount of salt in due to the fact the bhajis iam buying over here have too much salt in which puts me of a bit.
I think getting the right salt balance in bhajis is quite difficult, with over or under seasoning often happening. As has been suggested, stick rigidly to the recipe for your first attempt and then modify from there, if needed, to suit your palette.
TheGeneral
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by TheGeneral »

Well made the curry sauce and it was delicious,made into a chicken curry and lamb Rogan gosht everyone thought it tasted better than the take away. Thanks Chris.
johnny5
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by johnny5 »

Hey CA & Alcy,

Donation made & looking forward 2 reading new version of ebook.

TIA

johnny5
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Not too sure what you mean by "new version", johnny? Anyway I sent you the current (and only) version of the e-book.... 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
johnny5
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by johnny5 »

Sorry CA,

My bad. I thought I read somewhere it was @ V1.1

johnny5
jampot

Post by jampot »

Ref the Bhoona, should the 5mm of cassia bark really be 5cm?
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

It's 5mm square piece.
StoneCut

Post by StoneCut »

I'll be making some recipes from the book at the weekend (I already made all the spice mixes).

While Skimming through the book I couldn't help but notice a few details that could be improved/corrected in a possible future revision. I might be a little nitpicky here, please forgive me :)

Anyway...

The Chicken Tikka recipe does not specify if tsp or tbsp of salt for "Marinade 1" (I'm assuming teaspoon).

Weight of onions for base gravy is for already peeled onions, I assume?

Using 'ml' for the amount of besan flour for the mushroom pakoras is a little unusual. Weight would be better, IMHO. 'A little yellow food colouring' is also a little inexact for a novice curry cook, maybe.

A quarter onion for the dopiaza is relative. Which size onion? Mine range from (much) larger than a baseball to a golf ball size.

For the 'Bhoona' - 5mm square piece of cassia bark?! How much cinnamon quill would that be?

I've never seen a 1/3 tsp measuring spoon, btw. It's used quite often throughout the book. I for one only have 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 tsp sizes.

The pilau rice recipe fails to mention the type of cardamom pods (I'm assuming green). The amount of food colouring to be used would also be helpful for novice cooks. The picture shows yellow and red food colouring being used. They should be separate entries in the ingredient list. The colouring part can be simplified/improved, by the way: omit the water and sprinkle food colouring powder well separated from each other and then leave the rice to sit until cool (until you see holes in it) - now fork through - this way you avoid having the colours mixed in with each other. I know I struggled with the colouribg before I started using that technique. Reheat in the microwave until piping hot for use.

Bombay Aloo - how much is one 'portion' of potatoes? Do I really need to consult the appendix for this?

That's it with the nitpicking.

Here are some comments on the spice mixes I made today:

The Garam Masala from the book IMHO doesn't have quite as nice an aroma as the PC recipe that CA recommends on the site. It is fairly citrusy (maybe too much coriander seed?). I'll see how well it works in the recipes, though.

BTW: how come commercial Tandoori Masala powder is much redder (when dry) than the one from the book even though that one includes a whole tablespoon of red food colouring powder (wow!) ?

Apart from that I'm loving the book. Nice pictures, nice info in it and great collection of recipes from renowned members!
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

Thanks for the constructive and detailed feedback, SC, very much appreciated 8-)

We will duly consider your comments and suggestions when we revise the e-book.... :yes:
chukitinabukit
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by chukitinabukit »

Stonecut
As the author of the bombay aloo recipe, I would suggest one portion of potatoes is exactly that.
If you want to eat 8 or 10 pieces, that would be your portion, however, if six to eight pieces were enough, then that would be your portion size.
Some people eat more than others, therefore specifying an exact 'portion' would be meaningless, even if it were weighed out in grams of par boiled potato.
The recipe assumes that common sense would prevail. It is not rocket science, it is how many potatoes do you want to eat. 8-)
StoneCut

Post by StoneCut »

How big would those pieces be? :)

Well, let's assume my personal portion would be 500 grams - I'm sure that the base gravy and other spices wouldn't be sufficient for that amount. There's no point to even specify the other amounts in that case.

Anyway, I didn't point out these minor inconsistencies to stir up trouble! As I understand it the book's aim is to be an introduction to BIR for people not familiar with the style. In that case the recipes should be a little more exact than 'a little' or an undocumented 'portion'. That's just my opinion and (I think) reasonable criticism.

One man's common sense is another man's big struggle.
chukitinabukit
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by chukitinabukit »

I did not read your comment as an attempt to stir up trouble.
Is it not obvious that 500gm, or 1 lb of spuds would be far greater than a portion?
The recipe is accompanied by a first class photo of the dish which CA cooked. 'A picture paints a thousand words'.
How big should the pieces be? This comes back to how big is the portion you wish to eat.
I have had 'portions' of this dish ranging from 5 small pieces to 8 large pieces in various restaurants over the years.
If you are struggling with the size of the potato pieces, check them against the size of the pieces of chicken in photo's of some of the other recipes.
I would suggest that the sizes should be comparable. How many pieces? Eight.
I hope that helps you.' :cool2:
StoneCut

Post by StoneCut »

I personally have no problem following that recipe, chukitinabukit. But the average curry newcomer might.

Luckily there's a little reference for suggested portion sizes on page 86 of the appendix. I simply don't understand why the recipe can't simply say 8 pieces (or maybe 200 grams) of potato. For every other recipe that is the case. That's all.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I agree, SC, stating a quantity (e.g. "8 bite-sized pieces") or an amount (e.g. 200g) would be less ambiguous and probably more helpful (to most readers) than "portion". It would also then be consistent with all of the other recipes in the e-book (where amounts have been specified). You made some good observations and suggestions; we should consider them 8-)
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Thanks SC. We are in the process of creating v1.1 of the ebook, so all comments and feedback are really helpful.
jampot

Post by jampot »

Ref Pathia, when do you add the Honey and the tamarind? No mention in the method. Must say it came out great proper BIR. More so than the Bhoona did....
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Good spot jampot, we've corrected that in v1.1, it goes in after step 9
StoneCut

Post by StoneCut »

I made a (double-portion) Chicken Tikka Masala from the book yesterday - everything completely up to specs as far as possible (spice mixes, base gravy, tikka, ctm). The Pilau rice is another recipe, though (and I OBVIOUSLY put in way too much red food colouring, grr).

Here's what it turned out like:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 27396 times
The verdict:
Very nice, the wife and daughter enjoyed it too. I was able to achieve a very deep, savoury taste despite doing a double portion because the instructions are very good (I let each ladle of base gravy reduce almost completely before adding the next - this surely helped!). However, I don't think the Tikka recipe is quite as good as CBM's or CA's. Still very good, though!

Next time I make the CTM I'll add a little more sugar - a little too sour for my sweet tooth - and maybe use coconut milk powder (mixed with milk) instead of the coconut milk as I could barely taste the coconut. It's just my personal preference and nothing against the recipe itself, which is very good.

Anyway, the kitchen is an absolute mess now and I need clean it up now :laugh:
lanerboy
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by lanerboy »

Well I am still new to BIR cooking and have recently purchased the forum ebook well what can I say amazing book very well written and very easy to follow step by step instructions. I have made the chicken madras which I enjoyed but my favourites so far are

Pathia- this was a very very tasty meal and we all really enjoyed it but it was a little too spicy for the kids but the flavours in this curry were fantastic it felt just like I was eating a curry from my local take away

Masala- I did chicken tikka pre cooked chicken to add to this dish and it was lovely the kids munched their way through the whole lot my 13 year old lad had 3 helpings and said dad please do this one again so it was a great hit

A big thanks to the people that put the time and effort in to produce this book and I really like the fact its not making money for them but instead its the charities that benefit from it

Well done all and thanks

LB