• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

"An Introduction to BIR Curries" Now Released!

Obtain your copy of "AN INTRODUCTION TO BRITISH INDIAN RESTAURANT CURRIES" NOW! (100% of proceeds are donated to charity!)
ragingbrit
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Re: "An Introduction to BIR Curries (V1.0)" Now Released!

Post by ragingbrit »

I joined your site today and went straight to Amazon and bought your ebook, it is brilliant I have spent the last couple of hours reading it and making a list of some spices not in my cupboard I can't wait to start making some of them.. Thanks to all involved in putting together such a good selection of dishes with well written clear instructions, good for those new to making curry or those just wanting to try something different from their usual..
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

Hi raginbrit, thanks for being the first person to buy our kindle version of the ebook. If you get a chance to submit a review onto Amazon that would be really helpful!
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
Favourite Curries: King Prawn Phal
England

Post by Cory Ander »

And if anyone else, who has the pdf version (they are the same - apart from some formatting differences) would like to submit a review, it would be very much appreciated... 8-)
CA (aka Admin) :)
ragingbrit
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by ragingbrit »

I will of course write a review but I have a question, in the recipe for the mixed powder, 4 tbs of Turmeric is written twice, is that right.. Or should it be there only once, just seemed a large amount and strange that it is in there twice...
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Hi raginbrit. I have looked at my kindle copy and can only see turmeric listed once (which is correct). Any chance you can take a screenshot of what is showing on your copy and post it here, as something odd has occurred and I can't understand what at the moment!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Thanks for your review of the ebook on Amazon, rb, much appreciated and seems to have encourage others to make a purchase :D
ragingbrit
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by ragingbrit »

Thanks Alchemist for your reply, I have a feeling it is the way it comes onto my tablet as I have found it happening a couple more times, on the opening page of the recipe where the photo is it comes up with the title 'Ingredients' underneath the photo and a few ingredients listed, then on the next page they are repeated,it just confused me.
But I have spent all week making curries from the book, first the Base and mix powder , then yesterday the Butter Chicken and Celyon curry and I am pleased to say I am thrilled with all, but used up all of my prepared base and mix powder so I have to start again before the next curry bash, these ones are taking up all my fridge space ready for The Curry feast on Sunday, I still have to make the onion bhaji and naan bread, then I can sit back and relax..
I am very much a bung it cook but I was very good and followed the instructions to the letter and look forwards to trying all the other recipes in the book , my family is also thrilled as it will mean curry more often and maybe with the Pre made Base and mix powder I might be able to get one of them to start making curry.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Ah, the joys of Kindle! Not my favourite format, but they have the market cornered.
bobsbeer
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by bobsbeer »

I might have to get the kindle version as well. I don't use my kindle very often but it might be handier than the laptop in the kitchen. Well done all for the great efforts.
Bob

Everyone has to believe in something....I believe I'll have another Pappadum!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Have you tried reading the pdf on your kindle device, Bob? I'm told this does work.
audioq
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by audioq »

Hi just got ebook and am pleased to say it looks really good. A very professional effort with great pics. Now I have to decide whether to make the base in this book or the group developed base here on the forum. Any thoughts as to which is better or differences? Cheers!
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

The one in the book has been tried and tested over many years, so for me is a great starting point. Also it has been tested alongside the other recipes.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I would suggest that you start by using the recipes (including the curry base recipe) in the e-book. This will give you a sound bench mark. Then feel free to experiment with other bases, recipes and tweaks as you see fit.
Simonpaul
PIMENTO
PIMENTO

Post by Simonpaul »

Guys, I love the bir ebook, when will there be the next one !!!!?
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Thanks SP. When my nervous tick dies down again after the trauma of producing the first 2 versions and then the kindle one (I still have nightmares about CAs Index!). Seriously though, I have no idea, but I'm sure we are crazy enough to do it all again at some point. What would you suggest it should include?
ARenko
PIMENTO
PIMENTO
United States of America

Post by ARenko »

I just got the ebook - great stuff!! I have a question, which I'm putting here because its related to the book's recipes, but also could be general. I didn't find anything from searching the forum.

Regarding salt... do the recipes consider fine table salt, or a coarse kosher salt? I also have KD's book and she doesn't specify - I made one of her dishes, assumed she meant table salt and therefore doubled the quantity as I was using a coarse salt (diamond crystal). It came out overly salty. So, for the book recipes which is it, and in general if you are reading a UK-based BIR curry recipe do you consider a coarse or fine salt?

TIA
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA

Post by Alchemist »

Hi, AR, fine salt is the assumption we made with the recipes. Always best to taste at the end, so you can increase the salt if needed.
Cory Ander
SENIOR MODERATOR
SENIOR MODERATOR
England

Post by Cory Ander »

I use ordinary table salt or cooking salt (which is generally a little coarser than table salt and a little cheaper). Either is fine.
MalNealon
JALAPENO
JALAPENO
Netherlands

Post by MalNealon »

Just contributed to Oxfam, awaiting the book. I wanted to donate to Save the Children but they don't accept PayPal.
rshome123
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Chicken Vindaloo

Post by rshome123 »

:thumbup: